Old May 26th 12, 04:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Office can't change a tenner

In message , at 16:13:59 on Sat, 26 May
2012, The Real Doctor remarked:

Clydesdale Bank AutoBank cards could be used at asome petrol stations
round Glasgow from the early eighties. I think they were the first
generally available UK debit cards, but doubtless someone will correct
me.

That's very early. I had Natwest Servicetill and Halifax ATM cards in
the mid 70's, but they were not general purpose debit cards.

Around that time Amex also started allowing cash advances from their own
branded ATMs with their own cards. But the machines were quite rare.

I remember even as late as 1989 having to get a Switch card
pre-authorised by "Customer services" to use it to buy things at
Sainsburys. They wouldn't even allow their own card to be used at the
tills - the solution was "go outside and get the cash from the ATM".