Old June 5th 12, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default City Thameslink Station

Paul Scott wrote:

It's extremely quiet outside the peaks on Mon - Fri as well, in my
experience.

I think this is probably because it isn't really a destination in its own
right, and there are no signed interchanges with the underground (although
St Pauls on the Central line is not that far from the northern entrance.)

The Central Line runs right under the street outside though - was there ever
any talk of an interchange station? (Okay today passenger loadings making
additional Central Line stations a nightmare but maybe one day...)

I suspect it has no advantage for offpeak travellers and tourists over the
stations either side.

It's not that far from St Paul's Cathedral - hence the original name.

It's also located on the 25 bus route so in theory offers a relatively
stress free central zone interchange for me on journeys to south London and
beyond, particularly at weekends when other lines are hit by engineering
works. Unfortunately whenever I've tried to do that trick I've tended to
arrive at the station to discover it's closed.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c