Old June 6th 12, 05:54 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
e27002 e27002 is offline

Default Longer Distance Crossrail

On Jun 6, 5:56*pm, TimB wrote:
On Jun 6, 5:33*pm, e27002 wrote:

On Jun 6, 5:18*pm, allantracy wrote:

It’s noticeable that planned Crossrail services are primarily the
inner suburban type of services rather than longer distance trains.

Contrast that with Thameslink, which reaches out to Brighton, Bedford
and, eventually, Cambridge.

Is this not a missed opportunity?

Why not Crossrail out to Oxford or Newbury, continuing the other side
to Southend, Chelmsford, Colchester, Clacton or Ipswich seems like a
monumental missed opportunity to me.

Crossrail’s inners suburban mentality is far too parochial.

Is Reading "Inner Suburban"?

If it’s going to have the feel of a glorified Tube line then why not
build it as such, note at much less cost.

Crossrail will be much high capacity than any tube line. *Moreover,
the delays caused by changing trains at the termini will be
eliminated.

So what’s it to be, we’re building a mainline across London so how
about some genuine mainline services or has it all been hijacked by
that dreadful narrow-minded Overground concept?

IMHO Thameslink is going to prove very hard to manage given its many
branches and long distances. *Delays will transmit thru the Thameslink
system and affect timekeeping over a wide area.

The trains being built for Crossrail are barely suitable for Reading
to Shenfield never mind further afield. *Men of my age tend to need
the bathroom very often.

Hey, what is your beef with the Overground dude? *Give it a chance
will ya.

Is it officially going to Reading yet? We know it will do, but isn't
it officially Maidenhead, which is still hardly Inner Suburban?

No Reading is not official, YET! But, if I was a gambling man . . .