Old June 6th 12, 09:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Can the Railways Cope with the Olympic Crowds?

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 08:51:12 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

On Jun 6, 1:36*pm, Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 05:22:21 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

IMHO - NO!!

Judging by the fiasco of handling the cold, wet and bedraggled crowds
in London over the last four days of the Jubilee Shen. (= shenanigan
as in alt.shenanigan) I don't think that they have a chance.

None of the traincos. ran a Saturday service. None put on extra
coaching stock. Many thousands were left on platforms unable to board
the cattle trains they needed to get to London.

I thought the problems were mainly on the Sunday, when they ran only a
normal or slightly enhanced Sunday service for what turned out to be
much larger crowds than they expected. From what I heard, trains
worked OK on the other days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18313891

Diamond Jubilee passengers left on railway platforms

Many of the trains to London were full

Dozens of passengers trying to reach London on Chiltern rail services
were left on platforms as trains to the capital were full.

The first Marylebone service to leave Birmingham was full at Moor
Street station, according to passengers.

Many more trying to get on at Dorridge, Warwick and Banbury were left
behind to wait for later trains.

Yes, as I said, the problems were on the Sunday, when they didn't
boost services to at least Saturday levels. This won't be an issue for
the Olympics, when services will be running at max capacity.