Old June 6th 12, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Boris bus

Paul Corfield wrote:

Where did you sit? Upstairs the seats and legroom are far better than
downstairs IME.

Upstairs at the front. Legroom there was about spot on for me.

Slightly surprised by the rattles - perhaps things
are working loose after a few months in service?

It was mainly the destination blind inside cover, which is a big piece of
plastic. Perhaps it needs more locks. There was also something rattling
at the back.

I noticed that the LED lighting (which looked quite cheap, bet the LEDs
don't last long) was cool white, perhaps it would be better to switch to
warm white to give the nice welcoming feel of the tungsten lighting in the
unrefurbished original?

I doubt that will change.

Shame. I just bought a job lot of Philips 35W equivalent LED GU10s from
Tesco for my house, just under a tenner a pop. These, while expensive,
produce an excellent quality of light which is pretty much
indistinguishable from a tungsten lamp but without also acting as a heater,
so use about a tenth of the electricity. A couple of runs of a low voltage
version of this would be perfect rather than the cheap looking star
formations of LEDs used.

I thought it was OK but more work is needed to fix the niggles as well
as the more substantive issues like it being so heavy it can't carry
87 passengers (the capacity TfL require on all other deckers).

Good point. Perhaps that is one reason double glazing was not used. Is
the weight caused by the driveline and batteries?

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.