Old June 8th 12, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default BBC's Dire Coverage of the Thames Flotilla and other Jubillee Events

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:11:13 +0100, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 07/06/2012 11:47, Recliner wrote:
I wonder what the net cost was to the BBC? The pictures were sold to
the worldwide media, so it might actually have made a profit. I also
think the Beeb did a better job on the Monday and Tuesday, so perhaps
it had focused its efforts on those days? And I wonder if the rain
killed some of the cameras, thus limiting the views available?

Not as far as I know.

It seems that some cameras were indeed killed by the weather, as this
account by Clare Balding indicates: "Balding, a freelance presenter
and not a BBC employee, said staff did the best they could but were
beset by technical problems.

She explained: “There were cameras on nine boats and we had three
working. There was a lot going on that was very, very difficult to
deal with. So you do what you can."
From
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/h...e-Balding.html

The whole article is worth reading, as she puts the problems in
context. And I agree with the Telegraph that she was one presenter who
did do a good job that day (from the Gloriana).