Old June 8th 12, 11:08 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Epping - Ongar Railway Now Open

On Jun 8, 12:12*am, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 21:40:53 +0100, "

wrote:
On 07/06/2012 17:04, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

Considering how passenger volumes have risen in past years, would TfL ever
consider reactivating the Aldwych branch?

aiui the problem is the cost of refurbishing Aldwych Station, especially
the lifts, rather than the line itself.

So, put the money into the lifts finally.

Plus there was very little time gained from using the shuttle over walking
to or from Holborn - the journey was very short and infrequent enough for
that.

The walk from Holborn to Aldwych is not so short.

I'm an unfit lump and even I could get from Temple to the LU offices
on High Holborn in 12 minutes. *This is a longer distance than the
tube line would cover. The point with the Aldwych shuttle is that it
was slow (for obvious reasons) and therefore relatively infrequent. If
you missed one at Aldwych you could easily walk to Holborn in the time
it would take to wait for the next one. There are also zillions of
buses up Kingsway to Holborn 24 hours a day.

It is also worth pointing out that the station would need much more
work than just replacing the lifts to get it back to a standard for
staff to work in it and for passengers to use. *It's a nice enough
dream to have but there are far better uses for the money given the
massively competing transport demands in London.

--
Paul C

I got stuck in the lift at Aldwych for about an hour the last time I
used the line just before it closed. The poor reliability of the lifts
and the expense of replacing them was a major factor in the line's
closure. CJB.