Old June 8th 12, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_2_] Basil Jet[_2_] is offline

Default Time for a bus route rethink?

On 2012\06\08 14:31, d wrote:
On 8 Jun 2012 12:38:44 GMT
Neil wrote:
wrote:

Why do some london bus routes have a letter in them? Its not like numbers

are
in short supply. Do the letters signify something special?

Yes, they refer to the areas in which very local buses operate to avoid the
need to use very long numbers. So W is Walthamstow, U is Uxbridge etc.

That can't be right. The W6 runs near me and I don't live anywhere near
Walthamstow.

Most of the original W buses served either Wood Green (W2, W3) or
Winchmore Hill (W8, W9) or both (original W4) - only the W21 served
Walthamstow. The W7 never went near any W place, but did share nearly
all of its route with the W2. I believe that the current W6 was created
after all routes went flat fare, so there is no reason for it to be
lettered at all.