Old June 13th 12, 07:09 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
e27002 e27002 is offline

Default BBC's Dire Coverage of the Thames Flotilla and other Jubillee Events

On Jun 13, 7:55*pm, Clark F Morris wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:59:01 -0700 (PDT), e27002

wrote:
On Jun 13, 6:39 pm, MB wrote:
On 13/06/2012 17:43, 77002 wrote:

Because by focussing on the areas that the commercial outlets do not
broadcast, or do not broadcast well, the BBC can do better for less
cost to the Llicence payer.

Among my friends who watch it, The Voice seems to be considered better than
the competing talent shows; better format, better talent.

But the BBC could excel at News, Current Affairs, Commedy,
Documentaries Costume Dramas, etc.

I thought that they did excel at News, Current Affairs, Comedy,
Documentaries, Costume Dramas etc despite the repeated cuts in finances
for as long as I can remember (and having to pay $ky to allow $ky to
transmit its most popular channel).

If the BBC only broadcast unpopular programmes then it would get more
and more difficult to justify the licence but that is what some anti-BBC
$ky supporters want. I don't see why I should have to be subjected to
adverts when watching TV or listening to the radio.

Have you seen the PBS Newshour, or documentaries like Lewis and
Clark? *PBS does not carry advertising.

Technically no but they note major donors and they do have enough so
that you know something about BNSF which helps pay for the 6 PM news
show on WBGH Boston, (it seems to be a national show). *Home Depot and
GMC Trucks are among the providers of money for "This Old House".

There is always the debate about sponsorship and advertising. The
dividing line is a little hazy.