Old June 17th 12, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Bus Drivers And The Olympics

In message , at 09:11:26 on Sun, 17
Jun 2012, Steve Fitzgerald ] remarked:
I'm puzzled. You seem to resent the fact you don't normally get
overtime, and yet demand a lump sum in order to agree to be paid
overtime during the games?

I didn't say the hours were extra; just outside the agreement, ie
working later (but starting later) or 9 hour shifts, which are balanced
by shorter shifts elsewhere. This flexibility is what is being paid
for.

Something else the telegraph got wrong...

"But in an agreement with Aslef, the train drivers’ union,
they will also receive increased overtime payments if they work
more than an eight-hour shift or later than 1.30am – meaning
they could earn an extra £1,800 on average.

I don't resent at all the no-overtime deals. I rather like being able
to do my day's work and not have to stay behind a few hours.

Yes, I know that people have different views on this, but a train driver
isn't a 9-5 desk job, and some inherent flexibility would seem to "go
with the territory".

It's not as if (working in London) you are in danger of missing the last
train home (unless you are driving it, of course, when I expect they'll
pay for a taxi).