Old June 20th 12, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Don't fly BA during the Olympics

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:44:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

I've heard that BA are launching a marketing campaign today, aimed at
persuading Brits to "stay at home" during the Olympics.

It's one way of keeping Terminal 5 from clogging up, I suppose.

Apparently some of their colleagues in the travel trade are not
impressed, in case it's taken as a more general plea to the public not
to take holidays during that period. And after all, the tidal flow of
Brits fleeing the country is exactly opposite to that of the athletes
and spectators.

I noticed this BAA page about Heathrow's preparations for the games:
http://www.heathrowairport.com/about-us/host-airport-of-the-2012-games?description=ht-intro&src=ELH205&CMP=ELH205

Here's a few of the stats that caught my attention:
31 check-in lanes at the temporary Games Terminal diverting 10,100
athletes and 38,000 bags away from the main terminals.

3,000 CCTV cameras in Terminal 5 alone.

6,405 Paralympians' wheelchairs passing through the airport – some
teams with more than 100.

20,000 non-EU Olympic athletes and officials required to submit
facial, fingerprint and biometric data to enter Britain.

80% of Games passengers to be welcomed at Heathrow -- that's
equivalent to 250 jumbo jets full.

13 August 2012 (the day after the Closing Ceremony of the Olympic
Games) will be the busiest day in Heathrow's history. [I just realised
I'll be flying out of T5 on 15 August -- hope the crowds have abated a
bit by then!]

200,000 bags expected on the peak day compared to 150,000 on a normal
day.