Old June 27th 12, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Tube Wifi

In message , at 12:56:44
on Wed, 27 Jun 2012, David Cantrell remarked:
Yes, but I expect it costs them more to redirect a geographic like that.
Depends on the number. It would be cheaper (for the recipient) to have
a geographic number going to the "wrong" place than to have an 0800
number,

Isn't the alternative here an 0845?

I forget exactly what the rates were, and I know that revenue sharing
has changed a bit since. Wikipedia says that revenue share only exists
on 0844 these days, not 0845.

Revenue share gets a bad press, but isn't the sole reason for the extra
cost of non-geographic numbers, or indeed involved in the cost of "out
of area" geographic numbers that you mentioned a few turns upthread.

I suspect OFCOM is trying to get the price of 0845 to be genuinely the
same as a local call, in which case the issue shifts to whether 0845 is
counted in local call *bundles*.

It's a game of whack-a-mole, and all it ever does is shift the earning
potential from one entry on the pricelist to another (as we've seen with
mobiles over the last year or two).