Old June 28th 12, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Smyth Peter Smyth is offline

Default The dangleway

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:36:57 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 09:13:21 on
Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
Oyster fare is £3.20 (I assume on PAYG).

Does it form a component of daily capping?

No

There is an interesting subtlety though that I've just spotted. If you
make 5 trips in a week using PAYG then those trips are charged at
£1.60 each. This is obviously to encourage regular usage and is much
closer to the "normal" PAYG rate of £1.50 peak or £1.40 off peak for
tube & dlr. I assume Oyster does something clever in logging
dangleway journeys separately and once 5 are recorded in a week there
is an add back of £8.

This raises the interesting anomaly that 3 journeys (9.60), or 4 journeys
(12.80) are more expensive than 5 journeys (8.00). So anyone doing 2 return
journeys in a week will effectively be paid 4.80 if they take another single
journey. Presumably you could touch in with your Oyster and then decline to
travel to avoid ending up on the wrong side of the river.

Peter Smyth