Old June 28th 12, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default The dangleway

On 28/06/2012 18:38, Peter Smyth wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote:

There is an interesting subtlety though that I've just spotted. If you
make 5 trips in a week using PAYG then those trips are charged at
£1.60 each. This is obviously to encourage regular usage and is much
closer to the "normal" PAYG rate of £1.50 peak or £1.40 off peak for
tube & dlr. I assume Oyster does something clever in logging
dangleway journeys separately and once 5 are recorded in a week there
is an add back of £8.

This raises the interesting anomaly that 3 journeys (9.60), or 4
journeys (12.80) are more expensive than 5 journeys (8.00). So anyone
doing 2 return journeys in a week will effectively be paid 4.80 if they
take another single journey. Presumably you could touch in with your
Oyster and then decline to travel to avoid ending up on the wrong side
of the river.

It doesn't quite work like that - rather, they've devised something
called the "5+ Reward" which credits a user back 50% of the cost of the
previous week's journeys when they make a further trip on the cable car
- though despite references to the "previous week" this is actually
available for collection for up to six weeks.

It's explained he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/23851.aspx#5plus

For the record, I'll copy and paste the relevant blurb below:
---quote---
5+ Reward

If you use Oyster to pay as you go for 5 or more Emirates Air Line
journeys in a calendar week (Sunday to Saturday), you'll get the 5+
Reward. The 5+ Reward is 50 per cent off the total price paid for 5
journeys or more during a week.
How do I get the 5+ Reward?

If you make 5 journeys or more in a calendar week, you'll pay the full
pay as you go fare for all the journeys you made. However, when you
travel the following week, 50 per cent of the total cost of your
previous week's journeys will be credited back to your Oyster card.

At the end of each week, we will work out how much to reward you and
automatically send this to the Emirates Air Line gates ready for you to
collect from the following week.

The 5+ Reward will be loaded on to your Oyster card as pay as you go
credit when you touch your Oyster card on a yellow card reader at the
Emirates Air Line gates. The 5+ Reward can only be collected as part of
an Emirates Air Line journey.

Your 5+ Reward will be available to collect from the next calendar week
for up to 6 weeks; after this, it will expire.
[...continues...]
---quote---