Old June 29th 12, 10:16 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default City Hall NYC - stunning photos

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:17:36 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

wrote

I can do you one better; They decided to shutter South Kentish Town on
what is now the London Underground's Northern Line in one afternoon in in
June of 1924, and promptly acted on that decision. The station was
temporarily closed that afternoon because of industrial action at a local
power supplier, and they simply never re-opened it.

Nearby Kentish Town West closed suddenly in April 1971 (because it burnt
down), and in 1976 the closure was announced as permanent (though I don't
think closure formalities were ever completed). However, it reopened in
1981.

There are quite a few stations in and around London which were
"temporarily closed" for various reasons but which either never opened
their doors again or were resurrected after many years. The West
London Line (Willesden Junction to Clapham Junction) is a prime
example with local services ceasing during WW2 due to bomb damage and
local services not restored (longer distance and freight trains
continued to use the line) until around 20 years ago with two or three
stations reinstated (in situ or with nearby replacements) since then.