Old July 2nd 12, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bob Bob is offline

Default Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

On Jul 1, 4:42*pm, Bevan Price wrote:

Yes, it is just as believable as Harold Wilson & co. saying they will
halt the Beeching closures. But as for the EU - sooner or later, we will
get a UK government that will tell EU precisely what to do with their
policies. A lot of people are getting fed up with EU meddling in what
they consider to be matters for our own government.

My perception is that a lot of what people are getting fed up with is
either organisations with "Europe" in their names that are nothing to
do with the EU (eg European Court of Human Rights), or things that HMG
chose to do, and claim to be a requirement of the EU, but when the EU
directives in question are examined, are found to contain no such
requirement (eg Railtrack). Personally I see as many examples of the
EU preventing the UK government from doing stupid or wrong things at
least as often as regulations coming out of the EU that are
objectionable (and plenty of the objectionable regulations appear to
have been created with the blessing of UK commissioners in Europe).

Robin