Old July 3rd 12, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default The dangleway

Paul Corfield wrote:

According to a tweet from Tom Edwards of BBC London the dangleway will
open at midday on Friday 28 June 2012. I imagine Boris will be doing
his stuff in the morning.

Oyster fare is £3.20 (I assume on PAYG). £4.30 cash.

Frequent flyers pay £16 for 10 rides.

I took a "flight" on this on Sunday and reading this thread I've come to the
conclusion that either the information at the terminals is poor and the
staff badly trained, or PAYG isn't acually valid. The staff were telling
people they all had to get boarding passes and the machines are very
difficult to navigate on your own if you're trying to find the reduced rate.
There was nothing I could see that said one could just bypass ticket office
and board using an Oyster.

In the end I did get a return fare at £3.20 each way (there doesn't seem to
be a return discount built into the system) which included having to verify
my Oyster on the machine pad but purely for the purposes of proving I hold
one.

So as far as I can see the Oyster fare is primarily just a discount for
those who present a valid card when purchasing a ticket and you still have
to pay with cash or credit/debit card. And you still get paper tickets,
sorry boarding passes, issued. Okay the first one could be a nice souvenir
(the barrier returned the ticket) but after that they become litter.

The Frequent Flyer discount is presumably a multi-use boarding pass that
regulars will get used to buying. Otherwise there's a lot of tourist tax
about the whole thing.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c