Old July 3rd 12, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
77002 77002 is offline

Default Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

On Jul 2, 4:29*pm, allantracy wrote:
Yes, it is just as believable as Harold Wilson & co. saying they will
halt the Beeching closures. But as for the EU - sooner or later, we will
get a UK government that will tell EU precisely what to do with their
policies. A lot of people are getting fed up with EU meddling in what
they consider to be matters for our own government.

Possibly, as early as the next election if news reports today are to
be believed.

However, even if we came out, it’s still highly likely that we would
remain members of the single market, a basic condition of membership
being that we could not engage in the protectionism of closing off any
of our markets, such as railway franchises, to other members of the
single market.

That day cannot come soon enough. Although whether our former trading
partners in the Commonwealth will want to renew trade with the UK
remains to be seen.