Old July 3rd 12, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Alistair Gunn Alistair Gunn is offline

Default Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

In uk.railway allantracy twisted the electrons to say:
Apart from completely f**king up the nation???s finances the only thing
I can think of the last lot did that you can now, with hindsight,
never see being undone was civil partnerships.

Devolution (including the London Assembly & Mayor) was one of their
better ideas too, though as usual for any UK political party their
implementation was decidedly imperfect ...

I would have added to that list the commendable decision to create an
independent BoE but as that particular piece of dysfunctional wazzock
brain implementation continues to unravel by the day, to the point of
needing a complete rebuild, the credit counter rather diminishes.

The problem with the "independent" BofE was that whilst it was free to
set whatever interest rate it liked to hit the inflation target, it was
the Chancellor who in charge of said target. So all it really did was
result in the public not blaming the Chancellor when they didn't get the
interest rate they liked ...