Old July 5th 12, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:05:30AM -0500, wrote:
(David Cantrell) wrote:
wrote:
A bit more than that. It also controls a transport system carrying
half the nation's passengers.

That's pretty much *all* it is. The mayor has no significant powers
over anything else that people care about. And I'm not sure what powers
the assembly has at all.

The mayor has rather more planning powers than any county council.

I don't think many people care about skyscrapers unless there's one next
door.

The assembly is purely a scrutiny body. A bit like parliament.

Parliament can vote against a bill. Can the Assembly do anything like
that?

hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H. L. Mencken