Old July 5th 12, 07:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Stephen Sprunk Stephen Sprunk is offline

Default Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control- Guardian/Observer

On 05-Jul-12 08:44, d wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 05:21:09 -0700 (PDT)
bob wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

That doesn't excuse the fact that, when someone _does_ want to adopt
them, they are told "no" for various reasons that have little or nothing
to do with their ability to provide a better home than where the child
is already located.

For instance, many places prohibit adoptions by single couples, single
men, single women, couples married less than N years (where N exceeds
the 50% divorce rate), parents with the wrong skin color, parents of the
wrong religion, parents with too little income, etc.

Yes, in an ideal world, we would place every kid in a "perfect" family.
However, there seems to be a shortage of "perfect" couples to go
around, and those that do exist are rarely willing to adopt unless
they're unable to have biological children--which is why homosexual
couples are the best solution to the problem at hand _today_.