Old July 12th 12, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neill Neill is offline

Default Heathrow queues not getting better in run up to Olympics

On Jul 12, 6:56*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 00:53:10
on Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:

They're going to have to revert for quicker checks for low risk
arrivals, just as they used to do before Theresa May went all macho on
the subject. It's funny how the Home Office seems to be fatal for the
reputation of previously successful politicians.

How quick can they do it? Every time I have arrived in the UK, the passport
check has taken about ten seconds.

It was pretty quick (and no queues) when I got back to Stansted the
other week. The problem seems to be that one dodgy customer bungs the
system up. Perhaps more airports should have the single-queue multiple
server style (like Birmingham last time I saw it).

In the old days, at places like Gatwick they'd let people waving the
cover of a British passport through a "fast lane" at the rate of two or
three a second, in much the same way they still run the Green Channel
customs lane (no documents, no discussions) most of the time.

Last time I came through an airport, (Gatwick), there was someone
urging those with biometric passports to go to the front and use the
self service positions. Doesn't Heathrow have these facilities?

Neill