Old July 13th 12, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim[_3_] Jim[_3_] is offline

Default Simple question, but a puzzle

In article , says...

In message , at 17:41:56 on
Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Paul Scott remarked:
When buying rail tickets on line via whatever websites, is it possible to
specify 'Boundary Zone 6' as your start-point? I've never thought it
possible as I've never seen that as an option. Or does one just specify a
station in zone 6 to start from?

I think the logic is that it is not a BZ to/from wherever 'ticket'. It is a
BZ 'extension fare' used in conjunction with a ticket that you already
have in your possession.

An online site cannot determine if you already hold a suitable ticket to be
extended...

Why does that matter? They don't have the same problem selling any other
kind of half-a-split-ticket (or are they institutionally in denial that
split tickets are valid).

I have always bought online tickets from websites using the last station
in Z6 according to my journey, assuming the TOC allows it.

Never had a problem with Harold Wood, Elstree & Borehamwood, or
Upminster and fares have tallied with the Boundary Zone 6 fares.