Old July 13th 12, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default M4 motorway in west London reopens - BBC News

In message , at 20:28:57 on Fri, 13 Jul
2012, D A Stocks remarked:

Seems consistent with the earlier doubt about the ability to repair
it before next week, followed by the sudden opening,

Hardly "sudden": it was 24 hours later than the original estimate,

The estimate on Thursday evening was it might re-open by Monday. Then
this morning it was "suddenly" open.

eg Here's what the Independent wrote yesterday:

Downing Street said it was exploring of range of back-up plan
options to put in place if the motorway is still closed on
Monday when athletes and officials begin to arrive, but refused
to say if they included opening a single lane for Olympic
traffic or using the Heathrow Express.

David Cameron is receiving regular progress updates and Highways
Agency officials have again said they expect work to be
completed in the "next few days".

& The Metro, yesterday:

"The M4 motorway has remained closed as repair work continues on
a cracked flyover - with the Highways Agency warning it could
remain shut into next week."

"A Highways Agency spokesman said that an alternative route
would be planned along the A4 if the motorway was not re-opened
by [Monday]."

and I see no reason to doubt the various press releases. The continuing
weight restriction

7.5tons, or something lower?

is a fairly minor inconvenience, although if it means they decide to
slap additional white paint onto the A4 instead of the M4 it could
spoil my journey to work on Monday morning.