Old July 17th 12, 05:14 PM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield View Post

Isn't the position that the use of the ORN and Games Lanes is being
phased relative to the demand for the extra capacity? TfL are in a
no-win position - if they'd introduced all the lanes three weeks
before the Games with no one using them they'd be criticised. Instead
they've taken a phased approach of trying to keep normal road
conditions in place for as long as possible and Games Lanes as late as
possible to minimise "needless" disruption. And they're being
criticised for that approach too.

I'd like to see the armchair critics plan the road network and balance
all the competing requirements while also complying with the IOC
demands enshrined in legislation.

The fact is that the media are determined to every problem in to a
disaster. If there is a disaster then criticism will be fair. A minor
problem or a teething problem is not worthy of being turned in to a
disaster in and of itself. The key is that any lessons are learned
and done so quickly. It is not going to be perfect - that's
impossible.

If we have 2 months worth of today's inaccurate reporting we'll all be
in the nuthouse at the end of it.
--
Paul C
The official "line" peddled by TfL is that they will do everything possible

However they have already re-phased traffic lights a full week before the
games begin. For example Leyton High Road by the old Town Hall. Second
example: last weekend I drove through the Blackwall Tunnel and the lights
immediately before the tunnel were red for 5 minutes!

If the armchair critics had been tasked eight years ago to plan
road transport arrangements during the Olympics, we'd have a far
better and more appropriate road system than we have now!