Old July 19th 12, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
77002 77002 is offline

Default TV Alert: Building The London Underground

On Jul 18, 9:22*pm, "Mortimer" wrote:
"Graham Nye" wrote in message

news
On 17/07/2012 22:03, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
21:46:43 on Tue, 17 Jul 2012, Mortimer remarked:
... the (BBC?) series a year or so ago
about the conversion of St Pancras for Eurostar services.

Ah yes, the architect who was apparently in tears because his glass
panels alongside the escalators didn't line up exactly, but who managed
to perpetrate toilet facilities which have been blocked/flooded ever
since, and no end in sight.

The function of architecture is to create buildings that look
good in architecture journals and win architecture awards.

Creating buildings that work for their users is optional.

I think architects get points *deducted* if their buildings work for their
users :-)

Although I have worked in some designer building that have function
well, The SunAmerica Building in Century City, The Gas Company Tower,
in downtown Los Angeles, and especially the original Gateway House
(Now Louis Mountbatten House, I believe) in Basingstoke. All were
pleasant work spaces.