Old August 6th 12, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default M25 widening proposal

Bruce wrote:

Recliner wrote:

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:19:06 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

There is already a section around Brum that does that. Part of the M42
IIRC, I drove on it last week,

That was the original pilot scheme from 2006, which was deemed to be
very successful, so the idea is being rolled out more widely. It's
already operational on the M6, with the M1 under construction and many
more to come.
See http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/25754.aspx

The M1 managed motorway is operational between Junctions 10 and 11.

Funnily enough, a couple of hours after posting I drove that section
of the M1 southbound on my way to Wembley. The traffic was beginning
to bunch but the lights over the lanes hadn't been turned on, so it
was just the usual 3 lanes and hard shoulder.

I read recently that, on the original managed motorways trial section
on the M42, accidents involving injury had dropped by more than half.
I was a sceptic when it was first proposed but it does seem to be
working extremely well.