Old August 13th 12, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default London National Rail - Permits To Travel discontinued but still required by Law !!!

(Just found this one unaddressed on a trawl.)

Lew 1 wrote:

While doing this, you would have to be careful not to jangle the other
coins in your pocket. That would give the lie to your claim of having
only 5p.

You could plead coppers, which I can't recall PTTs or TVMs taking.
Alternatively use a wallet with a tight coin compartment or a separate
coin
holder.

That you have obviously thought about this worries me a little. ;-)

Could you successfully argue that any remaining change you had was needed
for a bus journey at your destination? Is the requirement to give all
change you have, or all change you can spare?

I believe the formal requirement is all the change you have and your
non-railway requirements are irrelevant. That said staff at the destination
would probably be reasonably sympathetic to the situation as they're likely
to know if the local buses have exact change only requirements. With staff
at interchanges or on the trains it would be more pot luck.

Another situation that springs to mind is the potential for someone to turn
up with a card only to find the card machine is out of order and they have
no coins for a PTT if the machine is there. (The PTTs also predate the
widespread use of cards in machines, particularly outside the biggest
stations, and I'm guessing the wording quoted elsewhere on the thread hasn't
changed since those days.) I've got a feeling the wording of the CoC
basically expects all card relying passengers to carry some coins on them as
back-ups but it could be messy (and possibly ruled unfair conditions?) if
the regular method of purchase and the emergency back-up are using
completely separate methods of payment.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c