Old August 13th 12, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Didn't it all go rather well?

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 06:24:08 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

Seemingly it did go well. I avoided the whole thing like the plague
and so I am going by what being declared on the radio by various
commentators who have forgotten the difference between a journalist
and a cheer leader.

As an arch sceptic I am relieved and slightly surprised. I thought
the transport system would not be able to cope. There seems
little doubt that fewer people came than expected and this must
have helped matters. The downside which no-one is mentioning
is that as fewer people came, the financial loss will be even bigger
than feared.

Actually, I think that the 'empty streets' complaints really relate
only to the beginning of the Olympics. Once it became clear that the
warnings had been exaggerated, more normal Londoners returned. But, in
any case, the return from the Games won't be measured by retail
footfall over 17 days.

Also, the majority of the costs were spent in the UK. For example, the
construction industry was probably rather glad to have all the extra
work in an otherwise very lean period. And the British architects of
the rather splendid venues can confidently expect more foreign
commissions (including designing the Rio Olympic park).