Old August 13th 12, 01:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Didn't it all go rather well?

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 05:55:05 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Furley
wrote:

Does anybody know why it was necessary to close the car parks at the
Stratford Centre and Westfield Stratford City for so long? They were
closed for several weeks before the Games started, and Stratford City
bus station is closed for about three months, ancluding the period
between the two sets of games.

I agree that transport generall seemed to go very well, with few
problems. Gongratulations to those involved. I have to admit that I
was expecting chaos, but I was wrong.

I'm guessing that the car parks are being used by the workers and
builders at the Olympics site? Maybe there's stuff stored there, too?

I was more optimistic than you about the transport, having heard
something about the amount of work that had gone into planning for
them (well done, TfL!). But, nevertheless, it went better than anyone
had expected, and I think that includes Heathrow as well as the trains
and buses. The temporary departure terminal was described on the radio
this morning, and sounds rather fun (decked out as a London park),
rather than the grim temporary structure on a staff car park I'd
expected. When even Heathrow over-performs, that's quite something!

One permanent improvement to the Tube might be that they've learned
how to be a lot slicker at fixing things that break down.