Old August 20th 12, 02:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Thailand - railway through Market

On 20/08/2012 14:42, Graham Harrison wrote:

wrote in message

On 17/08/2012 11:30, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 17/08/2012 11:15, wrote:
Occassionally the Daily Mail come up with some gems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...times-day.html

This is a hardy perenial. Someone at the Wail is obviously bored.

I have seen videos of trains going through that market before. Are
there any other trains that go through such built up areas or
something similar?

I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India,
which runs at street levels via some residential areas, for example.

Ahem ... India? Indiana maybe? Mind you nothing like what it once
was and they keep talking about rerouting out of the streets of Michigan
City.

It does depend on definition. I came across 2 lines in Japan, one in
Tokyo (Toden Arakawa line) and one in Kyoto (Randen) which use tram like
cars but run largely on private RoW but short sections of street running.

What about Aguas Calientes in Peru? There's no road there and the main
street of the town is dominated by the railway that runs straight through it