Old April 1st 04, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Kew Bridge bus lane

zerling wrote:
I was thinking of sending this using the TfL on-line feedback form.
Comments anyone?

***************
Kew Bridge bus lane

This restricted bus lane was recently opened to all traffic. However
I think the restriction should be reapplied for the following reasons:

There is no improvement to traffic flow that I can see. I use Kew
Bridge every weekday in the peak traffic hours, and the two
northbound lanes are both jammed solid at these times.

The problem with the bus lane was that it caused such long tailbacks of
general traffic that buses got stuck in them before reaching the bus
lane, thus nullifying its benefit.

Buses are now delayed.

They were delayed when the lane was there (see above). Do you have
comparative times?

More traffic which is actually going to Chiswick is keeping to the
left lane; then forking right at the lights after the bridge and
squeezing into their proper lane later. This is now common and
obviously upsetting more law-abiding drivers, whereas it was rare
before.

The signage indicates that the left lane *is* available to drivers
heading towards Chiswick. Making full use of both northbound lanes on
the bridge helps to maximise the traffic flow through the lights, thus
helping to reduce delays. There is no law infringement involved.

Cyclists travelling towards Chiswick are now vulnerable if they try
to join the traffic at the northern end of the bridge, as they have
to cross the traffic flow at this point.

Not sure what your point is here, but I would agree that separation of
cycle and motor traffic is inadequate at that junction. TfL have plans
to remodel the junction, including extending the lights to cover the
junction with Spring Grove in connection with a proposed new bus route
serving Strand-on-the-Green. It's worth asking them what their plans
are for safer cycle routes through the junction.

There is now the hazard of flower/newspaper sellers at the northern
end of the bridge, which I do not remember previously.

Tell the police if they are causing an obstruction. It's not directly a
bus lane issue.

--
Richard J.