Old April 1st 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
zerling zerling is offline

Default Kew Bridge bus lane

Thanks for the comments

There is no improvement to traffic flow that I can see. I use Kew
Bridge every weekday in the peak traffic hours, and the two
northbound lanes are both jammed solid at these times.

The problem with the bus lane was that it caused such long tailbacks of
general traffic that buses got stuck in them before reaching the bus
lane, thus nullifying its benefit.

true, but at least no delay from the southern end of the bridge for buses

Buses are now delayed.

They were delayed when the lane was there (see above). Do you have
comparative times?

no I just see them stuck in traffic

More traffic which is actually going to Chiswick is keeping to the
left lane; then forking right at the lights after the bridge and
squeezing into their proper lane later. This is now common and
obviously upsetting more law-abiding drivers, whereas it was rare
before.

The signage indicates that the left lane *is* available to drivers
heading towards Chiswick. Making full use of both northbound lanes on
the bridge helps to maximise the traffic flow through the lights, thus
helping to reduce delays. There is no law infringement involved.

sorry if I wasn't clear - traffic is stuck in the left hand lane before
even going on to the bridge and stays in that lane even if going through to
Chiswick roundabout. Except that they have to filter into the right hand
lane once beyond the lights