Old September 17th 12, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default TfL To Remove Roadside Ticket Machines For Buses

In message
.
net, at 08:27:47 on Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Neil Williams
remarked:
At the supermarket self-checkout yesterday I observed someone paying in
coins, one at a time, looking at the display in between each one to see
how much more was required. She was putting in over a fiver in small
coins! Even if you over-pay, they return the balance to you as change.

More modern ones have a hopper you can just pour coins in. It's how I get
rid of my change jar contents these days - do a big shop at Tesco, lob them
all in, then pay the balance by credit card.

I've not seen one of those, but even without a hopper you can bung in
about two coins a second if you try hard. This lady was putting in one
coin, looking at the screen, finding another single coin in her purse,
carefully inserting it, looking at the screen... rinse and repeat.