Old September 17th 12, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL To Remove Roadside Ticket Machines For Buses

In article

, (Neil Williams) wrote:

wrote:

That last suggestion is stunningly unhelpful for disabled users and
parents with babies in buggies who need to buy tickets!

I believe travel is free in Germany for disabled people, certainly
wheelchair users. The buggy can be parked and its owner walk forwards to
pay if the bus isn't too busy, and if it is a bit of sensible tolerance of
paying later when it's quieter can be applied.

Access for wheelchairs etc through the space separated by the front wheels
is rather sub-optimal compared with direct access to a multipurpose space
directly opposite a rear door as in London and Germany.

I can see you've never handled a buggy with a pre-walking child. Leaving it
on the pavement while buying a ticket from the driver is the last thing most
parents would do.

Ex-London double deckers with barriers dividing the only entrance were
common on Cambridge rural routes when my granddaughter was in that state.
Her mother was dropped in the middle of nowhere once by an idiot driver,
having overshot her stop.

--
Colin Rosenstiel