Old September 19th 12, 06:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default TfL To Remove Roadside Ticket Machines For Buses

" wrote:

Would there be any real difficulty in having that here in London? Or is
it that such equipment would be costly in terms of time and labour,
considering that the vast majority of fares paid in London are on Oyster?

It's not cheap equipment wise but probably no more expensive than those
roadside machines. Edinburgh and Nottingham have fare boxes, though they
are of the driver verified type, and they can at least cope with notes and
paying for more than one ticket at once as a result.

Reminds me of Strippenkaart in the Netherlands; I've never been able to
fully figure it out.

It's simple. You stamp one strip plus one extra for each zone your journey
uses. On a bus, you either state your destination, or if you happen to
know it the number of zones you want, not a lot different to stating your
destination or fare on a bus. The driver then stamps it. On a tram or
similar there is usually a zone map (unlike, say, Milan, where this seems
to be classified information despite you needing to specify zones on the
ticket machines).

So in London for a journey from zone 1 to 6 you would stamp 7 strips.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.