Old September 20th 12, 12:46 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default Hayes & Harlington - Victoria/London Oyster Cards

In article , Recliner
writes

Do you mean absurdly complex, or absurdly expensive?

Both. (I was in London recently.)

I do understand that some of it is to try and bring an antiquated
network creaking at the seams up to modern standards.

Turning to the railways system in general, I had some friends staying
over from Germany recently. They think our railway system is hopelessly
antiquated and pointed to their modern system. They went quiet when I
pointed out that we're still dealing with infrastructure built in the
1800s that has had epic underinvestment ever since, not to mention two
world wars started by their country, whereas their system has had the
benefit of massive state subsidy plus rebuilding since the war.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)