Old September 20th 12, 03:45 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson[_3_] Peter Masson[_3_] is offline

Default Hayes & Harlington - Victoria/London Oyster Cards

"Alex Potter" wrote

The basic rate of income tax was 35% in the days when we had good public
services.

I'm not sure what date you're thinking of, but ITYF that that was not a real
rate of tax on earned incomes because of the 'two-ninths earned income
allowance'. And I suspect that at that date, whatever it was, there was far
less of a subsidy for public transport than there is now, in real terms.

Peter