Old September 20th 12, 04:58 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Alex Potter Alex Potter is offline

Default Hayes & Harlington - Victoria/London Oyster Cards

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:45:16 +0100, Peter Masson wrote:

I'm not sure what date you're thinking of, but ITYF that that was not a
real rate of tax on earned incomes because of the 'two-ninths earned
income allowance'. And I suspect that at that date, whatever it was,
there was far less of a subsidy for public transport than there is now,
in real terms.

1966. I paid tax, after allowances, at 35% on the remainder. I wasn't
earning very much - I was 20.

As for the subsidy, you may well be correct - I just paid my bus fare and
Birmingham Corporation Transport got me wherever I needed to go within
the city boundary.

--
Alex