Old September 22nd 12, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Smith[_5_] Martin Smith[_5_] is offline

Default TfL To Remove Roadside Ticket Machines For Buses

On 22/09/2012 21:41, Clive wrote:
In message , Graham Harrison
writes
wrote in message
In article ,

(Clive) wrote:
In message ,
writes
You just don't get it, do you? There is no way a parent on their own can
fold a buggy for a not-yet-walking child and get onto a bus. They need
too many hands.
It was normal in the 60s, why do women need more hands now?
They couldn't travel on buses with very small children or they used open
platform buses where they could board first and then fold the buggy.

And then there was often a conductor to help.

Rubbish, the pushchair was folded before the bus stopped, or you didn't
get on.
I'm not guessing, I was a bus driver.

Absolutely, I raised a family in the 60's, there was a very limited amount
of storage space under the stairs and if it was already full you quite often
would not be able to get on, the conductor would not usually let you take
anything large down the aisle unless the bus was almost empty, you could
never
have got one of todays giant wheelie suitcases on to an RM, fortunately
they did
not exist in those days. We usually carried my daughter, it made getting
the bus
a lot easier.

--
Martin