Old October 1st 12, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Nick Leverton Nick Leverton is offline

Default Kings Cross platform 0

In article ,
D7666 wrote:
On Oct 1, 4:43*pm, "Paul Rigg" wrote:
Huddersfield has platforms numbered 1 2 4 5 6 and 8.

Not sure what happened to 3 and 7 though perhaps someone will come along to
tell us.

The oddest one I've seen *(a bit OT this) was Newark Airport station in New
Jersey where the platforms are, if I recall, numbered 1,2,5 and 6. * *The
missing numbers 3 and 4 are the through roads used by non stopping trains
(Acela, etc). * The station is fairly new and would never have had platforms
on the through roads, though I suppose we should bear in mind that the
Americans refer to track numbers, rather than platforms *(Track 29, boy you
can give me a *shine, etc)

Such numbering of all tracks with or without platforms is normal on
just about every railway in just about every country I have been to
outside of UK and IE.

Even including such obscure places as London Bridge and (until the 1970s)
King's Cross ...

Nick