Old October 1st 12, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Kings Cross platform 0

On 01/10/2012 17:12, D7666 wrote:
On Oct 1, 4:43 pm, "Paul Rigg" wrote:
Huddersfield has platforms numbered 1 2 4 5 6 and 8.

Not sure what happened to 3 and 7 though perhaps someone will come along to
tell us.

The oddest one I've seen (a bit OT this) was Newark Airport station in New
Jersey where the platforms are, if I recall, numbered 1,2,5 and 6. The
missing numbers 3 and 4 are the through roads used by non stopping trains
(Acela, etc). The station is fairly new and would never have had platforms
on the through roads, though I suppose we should bear in mind that the
Americans refer to track numbers, rather than platforms (Track 29, boy you
can give me a shine, etc)

Such numbering of all tracks with or without platforms is normal on
just about every railway in just about every country I have been to
outside of UK and IE.

Various Slavic types seem to go in for numbering platforms and then
tracks (or is it faces?), so there are two numbers to precisely locate a
train.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK