Old October 3rd 12, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Another Suicide at Hayes & Harlington

"Robin" wrote:
There was a TV programme on this only a few months ago and I seem to
remember the main reason given was that educated women were being
brought over by their families for an arranged marriage with an out
of work
uneducated layabout husband which caused friction, when the "man"
of the family is the head but the woman in the only one with any
brains.
Distress in the woman being the cause who can't see any other way
out of a bad situation.

Indeed. They have no local support network, and probably know no-one
outside the family. They've probably never heard of the Samaritans,
and couldn't return to their family back home as that would lose too
much face.

And they probably have no access to funds or passports either.

This picqued my interest. But I find the local paper reported the
previous 3 deaths at Hayes and Harlington as Keith Coutinho, 26, Enzo
Belluccia, 35, and Antonio Martinez, 20. It also reported the death of
Jason Biggs, 41, at West Drayton and Nigel Fisher, 56, on the tracks.
None of those strike me as manifestly likely to speak Urdu and to be
stuck in an arranged mariage with an uneducated husband.

That's interesting. I wonder if the way that the local papers report these
suicides is the factor, rather than the ethnicity of the victims? Didn't
something like this happen recently in South Wales?