Old October 8th 12, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default Dartford crossing

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 10:52:05 +0100
"tim....." wrote:
entirely satisfactory. Most seem to work on a pre-payment "honesty" basis

I like the idea of that. Let the mugs pay and the rest of us drive over
the bridge that was paid for by tolls in 2003 after which Lying Labour said
the tolls would be removed. Naturally, being a cash cow they weren't.
And the tunnel was paid for by central government as per the rest of the road
system and should never have had tolls in the first place.

It will have to be enforced by ANPR but there is also going to have to be a
mechanism for people to "automatically" pay without them having to have a
tag in the car.

They mentioned something about a single toll both remaining. Didn't catch
all of it though.

charge you automatically get registered for the Dartford crossing (and the
Severn crossing, the Humber bridge, Mersey tunnels, etc, etc), but it will
be ages before the various agencies can agree upon that.

IMO opinion all these agencies should be dissolved the tolls removed anyway.
Its amusing how they pretend they're doing us a favour by making it easier
to pay for something we shouldn't have to pay a toll for in the first place.

Personally, I think that "Europe" should get involved in developing a common

No thanks! They can keep their noses out of it.

billed in they own country by a local agency (who get to keep the money) and
many other countries do indeed do this for Brits (and others) using their

I've been done by a speed camera in france, haven't had a ticket yet. Got
a parking ticket in guernsey once , reminder turned up , I just ignored it
and never heard from them again. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

auto tolled roads, but HMG doesn't seem to be interested in doing this
(BICBW).

When half the foreign trucks seem to be registered in eastern europe these
days it would be a brave civil servant to try and enforce payment over there.

Perhaps we could start an online petition to ensure that whatever is done on
the Crossing foreigners don't "get away with it"!

I doubt the government cares so long as they can screw citizens over here for
even more tax money.

B2003