Old October 25th 12, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 12:34:13 on Thu, 25 Oct
2012, Roland Perry remarked:
I have a Virgin PAYG phone but have only managed minimal usage of the
tube wi-fi - principally because I have not had minutes to wait for a
train and my local station is not yet equipped. Trying to log on from
a train while it pauses at a station is just about impossible as the
dwelll time is too short.

What are you trying to log into? I'd hope something like a Twitter or
Facebook account could grab a useful amount of information in just a
few seconds.

I gave this the "mystery shopper" treatment at Westminster and all
stations to Kings Cross (via Victoria).

Despite claiming to be logged into the Virgin hotspots all the way at
stations, I didn't manage to send/receive any traffic at all. Not even
Skype, which usually connects itself up with a couple of seconds of
seeing connectivity.

So this initiative gets a resounding "NUL POINTS" from me (which seems
to echo your own experience).