Old October 28th 12, 06:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 09:16:59
on Sat, 27 Oct 2012, remarked:
Sat here at home I can see on my phone:

Two of my own hotspots
BTOpenzone - remembered[1]
BTHomeHub-blah - secured with WEP x3 at least
Virginmedia-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2 x3 at least
BTHomeHub2-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
BTHub3-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
Sky-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
Netgear-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
BOH Office - secured with WPA/WPA2
TALKTALK-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
AutoBTwifi - EAP
BTwifi-with-FON - open
BTOpenzone-H - open
BTWifi - open
BZH - secured with WPA/WPA2
8WFC - secured with WPA/WPA2
Mr.Router! - secured with WPA/WPA2
RS_001 - secured with WEP
EnGenius - secured with WPA/WPA2

It's a bit busy out there!

[1] I don't know they still have one, but last time I used my
BTOpenzone account regularly about three years ago there was a gadget
for my Windows PC which logged you in automatically (and also had a
list of their International roaming hotspots).

And for open systems that control access through a browser like East Coast?

My house is a little too far from the ECML to be picking up hotspots on
the trains

What I do know is that my attempts to use the East Coast wifi using a
laptop were generally unsuccessful due to a protracted log-in process
and extremely sluggish throughput (five minutes between screens).