Old November 9th 12, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving
Anthony Polson Anthony Polson is offline

Default Dartford crossing

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , JNugent
writes
On 08/11/2012 23:31, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Anthony Polson
writes

The Tyne Tunnel now has two bores each carrying two lanes of traffic.
There is, however, no intention to revert to the original plan and
apply "A1" to the A19/Tyne Tunnel road system.

So what you're saying is that the Tyne Tunnel never actually got to be the A1
- which would explain why I have no recollection of it being so!

NO... It was the A1 for a while.

Well, maybe at some time (possibly during the building of the Western
Bypass and the re-designation the part of the A1 through Gateshead the
A167) someone decided to call the Tyne Tunnel itself the A1, However, I
doubt if any of the roads connecting to the TT were called the A1. As
I've said, heading south on the A1 from the north side of Newcastle, I'm
pretty sure that the eastwards turn-off for the Tyne Tunnel and the
Bergen Ferry terminal said A19. Heading north, just after the Washington
services, the eastwards turn-off was the A194 or A194M.

The Tyne Tunnel was *never* given the designation "A1".