Old November 9th 12, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default Dartford crossing

On 08/11/2012 12:17, tim..... wrote:

"Phil" wrote in message
"tim....." writes:

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
On 06/11/2012 14:58, tim..... wrote:

ISTM that if we are to have a database of registrations of car
number
plates to credit/debit card accounts for post payment of tolls
there should
be one national database for every toll that is collected (by a
government
agency) this way (not a separate one for Dartford and another one
for
London CC etc), so it will be easy for anyone who thinks that they
might
want to use a tolled road somewhere in the country to know that
they ought
to register, just in case.

That is about 20% of the population.

So the only people who it won't work for a

a) people who want to cheat the system by driving through and not
paying

b) A small section of the population who really didn't get to hear
about it.

c) almost everybody.

don't be stupid.

Why stupid, most people do not use any sort of toll road on a regular
basis. And many occasional users of the Dartford Crossing are not
going
home that day and any internet payment is likely to incur data roaming
charges.

But even those that don't use it know of its existence and see news
items
about it

Most won't. Even if they do, most will not want to use a toll road
somewhere in the country before they change their cars or credit cards.

So they won't register to do so then, will they?

Where has everyone got this idea from that I am suggesting compulsory
registration (the compulsion to use is on the part of the operators, not
drivers)

Nobody has got that idea. We think you suggested that people 'ought to
register, just in case' and that it is stupid to suggest that almost
everybody would prefer not to register.

well yes, but I was just referring to the subset of people who actually make
use of such roads (at least) occasionally

tim