Old November 11th 12, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Oyster Card

In message
nternet.com of Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:18:12 in uk.transport.london,
Recliner writes
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 16:19:33 -0600, Recliner
wrote:

[snip]

No harm in you tapping your card on an Oyster pad at a POM and seeing
what Journey History brings up.

Thanks for the info. Do you know what would happen if I tried to use it to
enter a NR station before 9:30? Would it open the gate? And what happens

It won't open the gate if the travel is not valid. This also happens at
London Bridge where most travel by train on these concessionary cards is
invalid in the morning peak. When my son went to school, his child was
also rejected there.

if it's an ungated station with an Oyster reader?

You get a rejection bleep. I found this happened at Bowes Park (invalid)
after starting a First Capital Connect journey at Moorgate (valid).

Having one will certainly change my journey patterns.

The Freedom Pass has curiously inconsistent validity. It is valid at
Dartford, where Oyster is not. I saw many caught by that on a visit to
Dartford. It is invalid at Chafford Hundred Lakeside, Grays, Ockenden,
and Purfleet, which are outside the zones, but where PAYG is valid. It
seems one is expected to buy a paper extension ticket.
--
Walter Briscoe