Old November 20th 12, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default shock, horror: few commuters using dangleway

On 20/11/2012 09:56, d wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:32:17 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
basically wash their hands of, the outside of your property to become a
bus parking lot with incompetent reversing and engines idling for a
significant portion of the day.

I've wondered about that. Why do bus and coach drivers leave the engines
running when there's no need for it? Apart from the fact that it doesn't
do pollution levels any favours it must cost their company a significant
amount in fuel costs over time. Diesel engines these days are not hard to
restart so they can't use that reason any more.

I've thought long and hard about this and the only conclusion I can draw
(apart from some of the Golden Tours buses which seem to require the
driver to actually turn them off from the engine cut off in the engine
bay) is that it keeps the heaters/aircon/radio/TV/internet running to
entertain the drivers (although I also feel that annoying locals keeps
the drivers entertained too)

Saying that though I have yet to be annoyed by one this morning -
probably because one did a drive past at 08:24 and didn't park and none
seen since - they will probably re-double their efforts this afternoon,
but I pity anyone trying to actually use the service (that's the case
anyway, particularly as the bus stop they use is actually unmarked for
them and their service claims it goes from Shadwell DLR but in fact it's
probably the 3rd nearest bus stop to there)